Research on subjects such as disease causation, epidemiology, educational and policy interventions has contributed significantly to reducing smoking rates in developed countries. In the developing world, there is a need for meaningful research focussing on tobacco and health. Research within LifeFirst aims at:
- Developing and establishing robust, context-specific tobacco dependence treatment service models which can then be delivered via diverse healthcare settings in India.
- Testing these models at multiple sites, in order to gauge their impact when applied practically.
- Promoting cross-learning between various research sites with the aim of improving the overall quality of tobacco treatment services.
- Coordinating and supporting research with international partners, NGOs, local governments, practitioners, counsellors, health advocates, managers, policymakers, etc. to create a shared understanding and advocate vital policy changes.
- Developing a robust resource bank of researchers, relevant materials and an evidence base, for the benefit of all future tobacco treatment initiatives in low and middle-income countries.
Ongoing research studies
- Evaluation of intensive tobacco treatment intervention delivered through tertiary care hospital in Mumbai, India
- Evaluation of tobacco cessation counselor training for healthcare professionals in Maharashtra, India.
- Evaluation of an online tobacco cessation trainings for healthcare professionals in India
- Prevalence and patterns of tobacco use including the stage of change, willingness to quit and past quit attempts among patients attending the outpatient department of primary health centers in Navi Mumbai.
- Change in knowledge and attitude about tobacco control after a sensitization training among staff of primary health centers in Navi Mumbai.
- A study on efficacy assessment of school based cessation protocol
- Feasibility, effectiveness and provider perspectives of integrating tobacco cessation intervention for tuberculosis patients in an NGO setting in urban India.
- Prevalence and patterns of tobacco use among patients admitted in a tertiary care hospital in Mumbai Funding source- Narotam Sekhsaria Foundation
- Evaluation of tobacco cessation trainings for healthcare professionals in Maharashtra, India.
- A study on Knowledge, Attitude and Practices about tobacco among the workers at a cement production plant and the outcomes of tobacco cessation service provided to tobacco users among them.